Holy Crap Batman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DOES happiness come from external or internal things?

+2
TheHandofOdd
Steoandnoodles
6 posters

Go down

DOES happiness come from external or internal things? Empty DOES happiness come from external or internal things?

Post  Steoandnoodles Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 pm

After just watching Tolstoy's new video (ps2 remote review) I thought about what he said at the beginning (read topic title)
So what is your opinion?
I say it has to be internal. I say this because, even when presented with a new game or doing something I enjoy, I can still find myself unhappy (well indifferent).
If I am happy internaly? I can be happy doing anything even work, as long as i am happy.

Sure External happiness excists like when you have been waiting for something and when you finally get it you can be happy but that is normally only for a short burst.

What is your opinion?
Steoandnoodles
Steoandnoodles

Back to top Go down

DOES happiness come from external or internal things? Empty Re: DOES happiness come from external or internal things?

Post  TheHandofOdd Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:49 am

Internal. Just cause "things" don't mean shit to me.
TheHandofOdd
TheHandofOdd
Admin

http://holycrapbatman.com

Back to top Go down

DOES happiness come from external or internal things? Empty Re: DOES happiness come from external or internal things?

Post  SoliDSnakE Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:08 am

external things for me but thats cause mentally im depressed and all f***ed up Crying or Very sad
SoliDSnakE
SoliDSnakE

Back to top Go down

Post  TolstoyKafkaEvsky Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:03 pm

I'll be real about what I was thinking when I said that. I recently was thinking about the Thervadist Buddhist tradition. It's the older, more hardcore system of belief which states that to free one's self from the constant wheel of suffering, one must ideally detach themselves from things, and deeply reflect, think, meditate, until you somehow reach happiness. They say that it is ignorance which makes us think that THINGS or even PEOPLE can make us happy, rather than the pure peace that is at the center of ourselves. This concept actually speaks to some of my experience.

So I was thinking does this apply to relationships. I mean, I always thought that relationships were more important than things, but the concept applies here as well. A girlfriend or a boyfriend, mother or father, friend or cousin, is AN EXTERNAL thing that you have no control over. Let's say (for the sake of argument) you're thinking about asking out that cute chick from where ever. But most likely she won't make you happy, not for long anyway. She'll either not like you or you won't like her, or you'll be confused over what you two have, and then there is suffering. So the idea is to just avoid this unnecessary relationship and instead look for INTERNAL happiness...if such a thing exists.

But then I started to think about these supposed couples who are HAPPY together...BECAUSE of each other. They're so rare these days, but I guess they do exist. That's not to say that they NEVER cause each other duress, but rather that they cause more happiness in each other than pain. So...that example sort of goes in circles....but I guess....

I was just wondering if happiness is generated from things we think, or from things we see or experience. Do you NEED anything to be happy? Does anything make you happy that you don't have control over? The most mind boggling question is WHAT HAPPINESS IS!! That I'm still wondering.
TolstoyKafkaEvsky
TolstoyKafkaEvsky
Admin

Location : Everywhere, ALWAYS WATCHING YOU....accept for when I'm sleeping...or eating..

Back to top Go down

Post  tolstoydreamcastfan Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:56 pm

i think happyness comes from god
tolstoydreamcastfan
tolstoydreamcastfan

Back to top Go down

Post  wolf55ion Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:42 pm

Happiness all comes down to how we perceive things.

How we take something, whether it be internal or external and turn it into a positive mental thought. So yea, its an internal thing.
wolf55ion
wolf55ion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum